Wednesday, August 24, 2011


MY EXPERIMENTS WITH THE PALM PIXI PLUS 

    Just finished setting up my new palm pixi plus and it works like a charm. I did have some trouble getting it to work with an ATT prepaid sim initially. For some reason it was failing at the profile creation stage. I was all set to tread on the tried and tested path of installing the WebOS sdk and using devicetools.jar to bypass activation as suggested by many helpful souls, but out of some whim, I just tried using the profile credentials I had created while buying a different HP product a while back, and it just started working! I was  then able to set it up for working on the wifi only mode without the cellular data plan (which was the whole point anyway
). Also tried removing the sim to see if the wifi works and it does.
   Being one of the smallest smart phones in the market, the pixie guys have really made a phone that fits in the palm of your hands (not including the fingers!). At first it took me sometime to get familiarized with WebOS, especially the notion of 'gestures' and some basic functionality like closing an app (just a swipe over the app to push it out) etc, but the more time I spend with it, the more I am convinced that, the folks at HP have really goofed it up in terms of bringing down the curtains on this amazing piece of software.
    

No comments: